Sunday, January 25, 2009

Breaking The News-- When it doesn't go smoothly...

OK breaking the news doesn't always go as smoothly as you hope...

While all of my family was on-board and excited that we were engaged I had a bit of a hang-up with an old friend...

My friend (we will change the name to save the innocent hehe) Sabrina and I had been friends since elementary school. We moved away from each other and slowly over the years grew apart. Although I still consider a friend, we are certainly not as similar as we had once been. We have different friends, different lifestyles, and different dreams than when we had been so close as children.

I called her a day after we got engaged to let her know the big news...the response I got was..."I had better be your Maid of Honor!". Okay that was not what I was expecting...she had met my HTB once and we had dated for four years! I was in shock and immediately I got defensive and froze. I didn't know what to say so I managed something to the effect of "Wow! I hadn't even thought about that yet". She went on to share her pessimistic outlook on my relationship which made me find a reason to get off the phone fast! Looking back I wish I had attacked the situation head-on and explained my true feelings instead of letting it go for so long.

Today, almost a year after that conversation, I have only texted with her once or twice and have avoided the wedding conversation all together. I have already chosen the girls that I want to stand next to me at my wedding, and breaking that news to my old friend will be really hard. Today I will be calling to get her address for the save the date that I am sending out...ohhh boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment